August Book Reviews – Recycled Glass

Posted by on Aug 16, 2014 in Blog, Book Review | 0 comments

Best Bottle Book Ever – by Boyce Lundstrom

Best Bottle Book Ever – by Boyce Lundstrom

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

August’s Book Reviews – Recycled Glass

Best Bottle Book Ever – by Boyce Lundstrom

I love to learn about fused glass whether it is through classes, eBooks, or actual books. I also like trying new products therefore, I thought I would write a few product and book reviews on the various items I have purchased. Please understand this is my personal view and is not intended to offend anyone. I just like trying new things and I would like to share my experiences with others. I am not paid to write these reviews.

I enjoyed “Best Bottle Book Ever”, it was very informative. I liked his stories of the early days of experimenting with glass bottles. There are a few projects including tree of life and various other projects including a mobile, albeit the instructions are not as detailed as a newcomer may need. He provided firing schedule charts for fusing bottles, drilling holds, engraving, and relief designs. He also described how to create frit from bottles.

I found it interesting that the Boyce Lundstrom started three companies make most of the bottle machines for the world, which makes the glass formula, used within a short working range. He conducted compatibility testing and found bottles from across the world compatible. That being said he tested compatibility so if you want to combine bottles you must test compatibility first. The author also explained stress in glass and how to test for stress and glass compatibility. I really liked how he his conclusion that if Fused Glass doesn’t break within 10 days after fusing the chances are approximately 90% in your favor it will never break, of course that leaves 10% .

Bottom-line, Boyce Lundstrom was a glass genius so any of his books are worth having.

Glass Bottle Art - Connie Brown

Glass Bottle Art – Connie Brown

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Glass Bottle Art – Connie Brown

This is a good basic bottle book. It included in several examples of what someone could create with recycled bottles. It covered Safety pretty thoroughly. Connie did mention you could not fuse more that one bottle or mixing bottle. Boyce’s book actually stated you could and went into detail about testing bottles to show they can be mixed if tested for compatibility. I recommend testing a small piece so you do not ruin several bottles. In addition, if you have seen my recycled bottle YouTube video I fused the same type of bottle together with no problems what so ever.

Connie covered removing labels and cleaning bottles along with cutting and drilling a hole. She also mentioned some embellishments including confetti (albeit I am sure she meant as long as it was the same COE). Some of the instructions were not very specific, putting the test with some of the pictures would make it a little less confusion.

Overall the information was good, however there could be a little bit more information to make it a little easier to understand i.e., when you drill do you drill from the back or front to reduce scratches, what color copper turns inside the glass what about silver what color does it turn, etc. There are also several different “fusing and slumping” schedules but the booked does not explain why the different schedules.

Connie also included a firing log example, instructions for buttons, barrettes, votives, wine stoppers, bowls, kiln carving, and drape. There are many ideas for recycled bottles included in this book to provide fused glass inspiration. Overall, I liked it for good basic information and because it opens your mind to other possibilities for recycled glass than just a cheese platter.

Keeping my Kiln Warm,

Karen

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *